Sunday, July 19, 2009

Noxious Fumes - Self Titled Cassette















Tacoma, WA hardcore from 81'. I'm not sure when this tape was recorded/released but Olympia based K records put this out. I personally LOVE this tape. I say it's one of the finer Northwest hardcore releases ever. Let's just say it sounds very "of it's time", but in the best way possible. It definitely has that classic MIDWEST feel I.E Negative Approach, Crucifucks, Toxic Reasons & the Necros. Straight forward but very well written. A hefty dose of the mighty "Flex Your Head" comp is also key to the Fumes sound. The last track "Commencement Bay" is extremely Fang esque. The vocalist reminds me quite a bit of Sammytown from Fang's vocals circa 'Where the Wild Things Are'. Gruff & great. The lyrics seem to teeter between satirical and political. The "political" or just downright more "serious" lyrics are also VERY 81'. The opening lyrics to the 2nd track pretty much pens it all "Sexism, Racism, Capitalism, Nuclear War"....

For more info on the band the guitarist does a great job summing it up here:
http://www.decaying-industries.com/rnb/11/noxious.html

I have recently come across some Noxious live tracks. Enjoy!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1186570&content=music





- NOXIOUS FUMES DEMO -
http://www.mediafire.com/?u2lya9wuceqd902

4 comments:

  1. Hey can you re-up this again? I haven't heard it in many years. If you don't have it I'll ask John Purkey for a copy (if he even has one).

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOUBLE THAT!! best cassette tape I ever owned, would love to hear it again. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my all-time fav tacoma punk band

    ReplyDelete